Sunday, August 9, 2020

COVID Response Argentina vs. US: Interview with Carolina Part II

In the first part of her interview, Carolina shared a bit about her Argentinian culture and language as well as how she fell in love with California. Our conversation then turned, as it inevitably does these days, to the effects of the pandemic on us and our communities. Getting a first-hand description of how different countries are handling this crisis brings to light the values inherent in each government.


Note: If you'd like to watch/listen the full interview, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hee0DmZU54 


Mariya: Since COVID-19, it’s obviously been much more difficult to travel, which can be hard especially for the hospitality business in which you work. I’m curious to know how has your work been affected and how has your daily life been impacted?


Carolina: The hotel that I work for is closed now. We do have a few hotels that are working with the government that are hospital hotels in case you have COVID, but if it's not dangerous for you, then maybe you can stay to quarantine at the hotel. My hotel has been closed since the end of March. Fortunately, because of the law in Argentina, they are still paying my salary and everybody's salary at the hotel. We did take a reduction in salary, but still I can afford to pay my bills. We do have a few meetings by Zoom. What we are doing is working on new ways and new protocols and standards that we are going to use when we reopen the hotel. So we do have people who are going to the department of engineering. For example, they do go to the hotel, and they are preparing some things for us for when we do go back. Let's say they put a glass in front of the desk. When you go to do check in, you have a glass between the front desk agent and you. We are working on the protocols of cleaning for the rooms and they say we are trying mix what the company tells us to do and the government. For example, when someone checks out of the room, you have to leave the room for at least 10 hours by itself and then you can go in and clean it. Something like that. Then we will see if it's rentable or not. For now, we think we can open in October.


M: OK, that's pretty soon!


C: Yes, but we've been pushing the date. I don't actually know if this is going to happen. But in August, we are going to open one of the restaurants to buy food to go and to do delivery. So some of the employees can work - probably the ones that live close to the hotel so that they don't have to use public transport. Here public transport can only be used if you work for essential jobs. So only if you work in a supermarket or in medicine. Otherwise, you cannot use public transport.


M: How do they check to make sure that only those people are using it?


C: The drivers. You have to show a permission of circulation because not everyone can work. I'm not allowed - I don't have a permit to circulate - so I can't be around the city doing nothing. When you ask for the permission online, you have to put where you work, what you do, and they match your details, so they say, "OK, you can work because you work in the hospital" for example, and then your permission will say that you work in the hospital.


M: Wow, that is very strict!


C: Yes, it is strict, but also the police stop all the cars that are traveling into the city from surrounding areas. A lot of people that work in the city come from outside of the city. That's the main problem we are having that the crossing of people are making them all contagious and spreading infection. Usually I don't go out or visit friends, but actually I have to say that I did. If I go, I go by bike. For example, the other day I went to see my brother and stayed in his apartment for 2 or 3 days, and then I came back with my bicycle, and then I was waiting to see if something happened. Like [my brother and I agreed] let's wait 15 days to check that we're both OK, and not see anyone until we know that we are both OK.


M: Yeah, that's kind of been the approach of people here. If they want to visit family or friends for home visits, they recommend quarantining 2 weeks before you go, and then just to be sure, do it again when you come back. Though people will meet outside in the park or something staying 6 feet apart or more.


And so what have you done, other than visiting your brother the one time, to keep busy, take care of yourself, and still feel connected to your friends, coworkers, and family?


C: In order for me to be mentally healthy, I have been exercising in the apartment, yoga, and I started meditating every day. I think it changed me a lot and kept me in good mental health. Also, what I do is I keep in touch with my friends with my cell phone, with my messages, sometimes we speak over a video call. And what I do is I help an old lady who lives here in this building. She is more than 65 years old. Usually when I go out to buy my groceries, I ask her if she wants me to buy her anything. Then she started asking me for other things like post a few pictures on the internet. I go to her place and she does knitting. She made gloves for me, and she made a few more things, and she said she wants to sell them. So we took a few pictures and we posted it in Marketplace on Facebook.


M: She should make an Etsy shop! Do you know what that is?


C: No, what is that?


M: It's an online shop where people sell their handmade crafts like knitting, sewing, artwork, all sorts of things. You could help her create an Etsy shop, help her come up with a name for it, you post the pictures, you post the price, and people can purchase through there. Yeah, just a suggestion if she's serious about selling her stuff. That's so nice that you help her so much!


C: Yeah, I have a lot time!


M: You're making good use of your time. My last question for you is: When it's safe to travel again, would you consider coming to the US again? If so, where would you like to go?


C: Of course, I would love to visit the United States again, but I don't know exactly where. I usually prefer to go to places I don't know so that I can experience something new. I don't think I want to go to California again even though it's my favorite state.


M: Which cities have you been to in the US?


C: I've been to Las Vegas, Indianapolis, Miami, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego. Oh, I've also been to New York and Washington DC.


M: Oh, so you haven't been to the northeast in Boston! That should be your next trip.


C: [Laughs] Definitely!


M: Well, thank you for sharing your experience and a bit about your country.


C: Thank you! I'm really glad we met in Hollywood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please ensure that your comments are respectful and open-minded. Any that attack the author of this blog or other commenters will be removed.